Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Jelly Jar Apple Pies

Hello All,


So everyone has been asking me for years for the recipe for my Jelly Jar Apple Pies. They are the perfect size to bring or give as gifts. And in the spirit of the holidays I am finally willing to give it up.  


Believe me when I say that these pies truly are delicious.
Jelly jar apple pies are great for the upcoming holidays as well as a back up for unexpected guests. Just store in the freezer and pop them in the oven when guests arrive and you will all be eating personal homemade pies in no time. Your friends and family will think you're a regular Betty Crocker.
Note: when going from freezer to oven I like to just place the jars in the oven as while I pre-heat. This will help prevent the glass from popping. 
Now for the recipe:


Crust:
-7 1/2 cups of flour
-3 tsp salt
-3 tsp sugar
-6 sticks butter (cold)
-2 1/2 cups ice water
Directions for crust:
-Wisk dry ingredients together
-Add butter cubes and mix by hand adding water S L O W L Y
-By now crust should be crumbly in texture. Place towel over dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.


Filling:
-1 dozen apples cut into 1/2 cubes
-4 tbsp butter melted
-2 cups brown sugar
-4 tbsp cornstarch
-4 tsp cinnamon
-dash of salt
-1/4 cup apple cider
Directions:
-Place rack on the center of the oven and pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
-Mix filling ingredients and simmer over medium heat until filling reduces
-Take dough out of fridge flatten out dough.
-Use lid of jar to cut out circles of dough.
-Press dough into jar along the bottom and sides
-Spoon filling into jars
-Use remaining dough to top pies as desired (leave room to close jar with lids if desired)
-Bake on baking sheet at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
ENJOY!


P.S. If you worry about jars popping in heat you can preheat the jars before filling  by placing them in a pan with hot water but if you are buying jars made for canning purposes you should not have this problem. I like to put the rings back on the tops once the jars have cooled. I think they look nice. When I put the jars in the fridge or freezer I put the disk lids on . 

This recipe is just for my apple version but I also make these in cherry and blueberry. 
I would love to hear about your experience making these or pictures of how they come out. 

From Megan With Love

No comments:

Post a Comment